Sunday, 24 June 2007

Barista in training


Coffee. My drug of choice. Generally a skim cafe latte, but a skinny flat white will always do.

About six months ago, my sister gave me her discarded home coffee maker. She upgraded to a fancy one where you push a button and everything is automatic. She doesn't drink instant coffee anymore.

I, on the other hand, am neither too proud nor too fussy to drink instant coffee. It's quick, low fuss and doesn't make a mess. I detest cleaning up coffee grounds. So the coffee machine has been sitting on my benchtop, a mystical beast I don't know how to use, right beside the kettle where I boil water for the Nescafe. Until today.

My mother decided it was time for me to learn how to use it, so arrived armed with a litre of Skinny Milk and moral support.

First dilemma: what to froth the milk in?
Second dilemma: how to make more than one coffee at once?

We settled for a large soup mug and a single coffee and embarked on the inaugural cappucino. We gave this to my dad. It's hot! he said. A good start.

After three lattes/flat white/cappucinos (who knows what they were) I was actually rather impressed with the temperature and consistency of mine. Aside from the weird hazelnut-flavoured coffee that was all I had in the fridge, it seemed rather close to a bought one. I've had many crappy coffees from amateur baristas and fully expected this to be no different.

So am I converted? Probably not for every coffee -- with the amount I drink I'd soon be over-saturated with milk! And there's still the cleaning up, which I now face. But definitely it's an option for the indulgent weekend kick-back coffee! Hopefully practice (and some better beans!) will improve the results even further.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, maybe I should rescue the one I bought David for his birthday a couple of years ago, from the back of the cupboard. i'm not ashamed to admit I actually like instant coffee. Maybe it's a sign of true caffeine addiction!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I even prefer instant coffee to plunger coffee (sshh!) But espresso is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete