Saturday, 30 June 2007

Blue Moon


Today is a blue moon. I was lucky enough to see it earlier this evening, before the clouds swept in and it started raining.

No, it's not really blue. It means that it's the second full moon in a calendar month. The previous full moon was on June 1.

I've just checked the Melbourne planetarium site, and it says that the full moon is at 23:50 (Aus EST) today, so it only just scrapes in! I've never before considered that the full moon has a specific time, but it is no doubt for similar reasons that the solstice occurs at a specific time.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ellen,

    Wish I'd known about the blue moon earlier - would have shown my kids. My youngest is absolutely enthralled by the moon and spends a lot of time with his eyes cast to the heavens.

    Thanks for being my celestial guide. The full moon has a specific time? Who knew? My 11 year old will be fascinated by that fact!

    ReplyDelete