Monday, 2 July 2007

Inspiration #3 - Reading



I have always loved reading, and I seem to think the first chapter book I read was Charlotte's Web. Now -- although I am a member of the Page Turners reading group, which opens me to a vast array of different genres of novels and non-fiction books -- I have a great predilection for reading fantasy (speculative fiction).
For me, fantasy is food for the soul. It's about magic and possibility. It explores every human emotion. I have written elsewhere: "For me the delight is in being transported into another world, where the impossible becomes possible and unlikely characters undergo tough journeys of self-discovery and love. Fantasy fiction is the ultimate celebration of the ‘human’ spirit."
My all-time favourite fantasy novels (or series) are:

  • The Mordant’s Need duology by Stephen Donaldson
  • The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay
  • The Ruins of Ambrai by Melanie Rawn
  • The Kushiel’s Chosen trilogy by Jacqueline Carey
  • The Liveship Traders trilogy by Robin Hobb

Reading these novels fills me with inspiration to create my own worlds, my own beloved characters, my own human journeys. I truly owe my love of writing fantasy to these amazing novels by amazing writers. If only I could write like any of these novelists . . .

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I didn't recognise The mirror of her dreams. My copy has a completely different cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't recognise The mirror of her dreams. My copy has a completely different cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I don't know why that published twice -- I didn't bump it or anything. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a Michael Whelan cover -- I have it in hard cover. Simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete