Tuesday, 21 August 2007

Between the candle and the stars

Well, I've been procrastinating again, but what a way to do it. For those of you who didn't get the reference in the title of this post, I have been re-watching Babylon 5 (a 1990s science fiction TV series). Over the past week I have forged through season 1 and am now all set for season 2.

I first got into B5 in the third season (approx 1996) and it sucked me in from the very first episode. It was a show with a 5-year arc, so of course I had to rent out the videos from earlier seasons to get caught up. So too did my friends.

What followed was an orgy of B5 watching -- weekends during which a bunch of us watched entire seasons in a single hit, 12-hour days of B5 watching and eating junk food. [sigh] Those were the days.

Seriously, Babylon 5 is best watched in large, intense chunks. It's the only way to pick up on all the clues and put the puzzle together. It's a character-driven, political, 'good v evil' space opera that consumes your mind while you're in the throes of the experience. It becomes a temporary obsession. (Meaning that right now, I am calculating how many episodes I can get in tonight before bed!)



5 comments:

  1. Yes, those were the days indeed! (Gosh we must have had so much spare time on our hands back then.) B5 was a very very good show. I still think about it now, every now and then. I am glad, and somewhat envious, that you are able to re-watch the episodes again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great. I still think of you when Zathras appears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it too. I recently got given the whole set as a combined birthday and Mother's Day present from my kids, my husband and my parents. They were supposed to save some for Christmas but didn't wait. I haven't started watching yet because I haven't had time, but am really looking forward to it. Season 1 didn't grab me as much as the rest -- but then I was a big fan of Bruce Boxleitner's when he was in "How the west was won", many years ago. So cute.

    I'm still sorry you weren't able to see the final episode on the big screen at Aussiecon. It was just so emotional -- the cheer that went up when we all recognised Stracynski on the big screen (and didn't he ham that up!), the tears at the end. Honestly, I bawled and bawled.

    Marcus dying had a big effect on me. He haunted me for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Er, of course Marcus's death wasn't in the final episode -- I'm not confused, just drifting backwards through time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I did mean Straczynski, of course! I think I'd better go to bed.

    Though I have to say I found the end of series 4 very interesting. I know why it was done but later it did seem out of kilter, but it was still very interesting.

    ReplyDelete