Monday, 27 August 2007

Obsession with cake


At the moment, all I can think about is cake. I love cake. Especially dense, moist chocolate cakes. (Well, dense, moist cakes of any kind, really.)

The problem is that this year I have eaten very little cake. I have been on a 'healthy eating plan' that permits cake only rarely and even then in small quantities. Instead of having a fat wedge times two, I have a thin sliver. I lie in bed longing for a doorstop-sized chunk of 'death-by-cake'.

Last weekend I went to dinner with friends and there was a whole cabinet full of death-by-cakes. I stood in front of it drooling, completely befuddled by the sight of so much cake. I couldn't have picked one if I tried.

In an attempt to dull my craving I am gorging on low-fat supermarket 'snack cakes', which fit (if barely) into my healthy eating plan. Tonight I ate a salad so I could justify two small pieces of lemon cake afterwards.

I wonder if I will ever be able to eat cake again, or whether I will become haunted by the craving alone. Once I start again, will I be able to stop?

Life is all about cake. Cake is life. Don't eat cake to live. Live to eat cake.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, dear, oh, dear, oh, dear -- you are in a bad way! I love your final line though. Very poetic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you! Unfortunately I gave in to a rather large helping of lemon meringue pie recently. And yes, it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh .... ma-ate. Live to eat cake. Yes. Yessety, yes. But, it's thin slice (yes, just one) for me too at the moment. Makes it all the more *special*.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I read somewhere that if you have a food craving, just think about something else...like roses. Must say, roses are the last thing on my mind when I see cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete