Tuesday, 9 October 2007

Circular argument (with myself)

I am working on my rewrite plan this evening. Is it wrong to be completely fixated on the beginning? I figure that the beginning is where the goal & motive are established and everything more or less flows on from there. Consequently, they need to be right.

You writers out there might raise your eyebrows to think that I'm still messing around with these story fundamentals. I wouldn't blame you. But the fact is that I have a series of events that could be tweaked to suit a number of different interrelated goals and motives. So I'm trying to settle upon the strongest before embarking on the next draft.

Of course, this is completely the wrong order of doing things, but this will teach me to conceptualise a story properly in the first place!

This leads into the other challenge I'm facing, which is my incurable need to conform to rules. In the past I've written from instinct and completely failed when it comes to structure (hence the current debacle). But now I have the reverse problem: I've so many different (but similar) rules about concept and structure, that it's doing my head in to make sure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed.

I wish the instinctive method had worked better. But now that I know I have no instinct for structure, I'm second-guessing myself all the time. This is particularly the case with the opening, for which there are many different theories as to how it should work.

And so I return to my opening point. As the foundation of the story, the beginning is so important that it's worth taking the time to get it right. And so I remain fixated upon it -- for the moment at least.

OMG I can't wait to start writing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment