Friday, 11 January 2008

I am legend (the movie)



It's been a whole week since I saw the movie version of I am legend, our most recent Page Turners book. So I had better mention it before I forget!

Since we'd done the book so recently, about half our reading group decided to go together to see this movie. Naturally, we were interested to see a film interpretation, although from the trailers I don't believe any of us expected the movie would be "true".

A good thing too. I could probably count on one hand how many aspects of the movie directly reflected the book:

1. the hero's name was Robert Neville
2. he was the only human who lived by day in his town - all the others were sick with a disease and only came out at night
3. every night he made sure to be barricaded inside his home before sundown
4. there was a dog . . . which died
5. there was a woman

Seriously, if I was the author (Richard Matheson) I would feel insulted by the liberal interpretation of his work. Even the main themes -- and even the point -- of the novel were done away with.

Having said all that, if you watched the movie without the book in your head -- which for us was difficult -- it probably wasn't too bad. We did pick at some of the visual effects and plot holes, though. Actually, it probably was bad. Not a good movie.

However, I did cry when the dog died . . . as I did in the book . . . although the circumstances were completely different.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it's always funny how the death of an animal affects us in the movies -- often more than the death of the people. She was a brave and loyal companion, and we react strongly.

    I haven't read the book, but have seen the movie (and am about to blog about it). I found your comparison interesting -- the fact that you started with the hero's name being the same as the first point of similarity rang immediate alarm bells.

    I was most intrigued by your saying the point of both differed. Makes me think I might pick up the book if I see it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plot holes and inconsistencies aside, I enjoyed the movie of 'I am Legend'. As it was so different from the book, I never knew when things were going to jump out at Neville, and this certainly kept me on the edge of my seat. I also found the scene where he says hello to the manequin extremely poignant, highlighting just how desperately lonely he was. I was involved in this movie, and in that case, it gets the thumbs up from me.

    ReplyDelete