Wednesday, 23 January 2008

On sleep

It wasn't pretty this morning at 6am when I dragged myself out of bed to feed the cat. Oh yeah, that's right, I was supposed to get up and write.

So the kettle and computer both went on and I sat here and mulled over words for an hour and a half. Good start.

Over breakfast just now I read an article about sleep and it said you only really need 5 hours, since the first 5 hours is when you get deep sleep. This had me encouraged -- maybe I can persist in going to bed at midnight and getting up at 6am! Then the article went on to recommend people went to bed at 10-10:30pm (you must be joking) and get up at 7-7:30am. I wish they'd make up their minds!

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, I have friends who are in bed around 9.30. Bizarre, I know. Yeah, I'd like to hope 5 is okay, because that's about my benchmark. If only we could use that time to write! (Well, perhaps, in a way, we do.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, here is the lowdown. 5 is ok to get by on, but you need to be in bed by 10pm. The reason is that for some bizzare reason the sleep you get before midnight is more valuable than the sleep after midnight. Sorry, can't cite the study to support this, but there is one. The other thing is that deep sleep is not everything. It is during your light sleep that you do you dreaming. And dreaming is VERY important. People who are deprived of REM sleep (dreaming) have all sorts of problems - I think they are more stressed, probably less creative, more likely to get depressed. Again, can't cite the study, but there is one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm stuffed then. I never get to sleep before midnight! I rarely remember my dreams, either, although I think I do dream.

    ReplyDelete