Saturday, 2 February 2008

Excrutiatingly engineered

For the past almost-two weeks I have been writing chapter 6 of my new draft. Although some of the events are based on things that happen in the previous draft, most of it has been entirely new. This of course takes a lot longer than editing. However, it did need to be done.

Even so, it has taken a lot longer than I would have liked. It is not so much the amount of time spent writing, which has actually been quite good in the grand scheme of work hell, but more the excrutiatingly slow pace taken when actually writing. I feel as though I have meticulously engineered every goddamn sentence to ensure the mood, tension, information, character, setting etc are conveyed just so.

It is unfortunately my natural tendency to agonise over such things, but why this particular chapter should have caused me so much difficulty, I do not know. Come to think of it, I had similar difficulties with the previous chapter, and I think it might have something to do with too much dialogue and not enough action. You have to work that much harder to make it interesting.

Anyway, now it's over, and I can finally move onto the next chapter. More action, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment