Friday, 7 March 2008

Port Fairy folkie - Day 1

It's lovely to be back at the Port Fairy folk festival after a year off. Tonight was the first night, and we went to the Tim Wheelan welcome concert, featuring:

Kate Burke and Ruth Hazelton -- favourites of ours for a few years now. They are two young Aus women with guitars and sublime vocal harmonies. Many of the songs are Australian traditional songs, although tonight they sang a different range, including one penned by Kate that was inspired by Brokeback Mountain, plus a rendition of the Dylan song, "Boots of Spanish leather".

Alesa Lajana -- We hadn't heard of her before. She turned out to be a guitar virtuoso, with more instrumental tracks than songs. Normally this would disappoint me, but I actually loved the instrumental tracks. On the last two songs, she added her viola-playing fiance from Fourplay. Her stage craft reflected her inexperience at performing, but I surprised myself and bought her CD.

Bob Fox -- A veteran of the folkie stage, Bob Fox is from England and has a really deep, velvet, haunting voice. I first saw him a few years ago, and bought one of his CDs back then. Many of the songs he played tonight I had already heard, but it was a great set nonetheless.

Tonight was in St Pat's hall. Tomorrow we get geared up for "poffles" (poffertjes) at the main folkie venue.

3 comments:

  1. Poffles! Is that what poffertjes are called in Port Fairy? I can already see my Dutch friends shuddering at the thought :)

    Enjoy the rest of the festival...and the poffertjes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that's our name for them only, because we can't pronounce it properly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, love poffertjes. I bought a pan last year... Mmm.

    ReplyDelete