Thursday, 3 April 2008

Blackout

A bittersweet irony of what I perceived to be the failure of Earth Hour came in the form of a 12-hour blackout yesterday. From about 3:30 in the afternoon until 3:15am, my suberb was without any power as the result of some very wild weather, leaving me to scoff at the farce that was Earth Hour and do it for real!

I walked home, arriving at about 8pm, and reflected that the utter blackness, save for some starlight and sporadic car headlights moving through, was more like what I had expected of Saturday's effort.

I stumbled through the front door, tripped over the clutter that erupted from my study cleanout on the weekend, fumbled for my head-torch (cheating!). Went out to dinner. Came back and played Yahtzee by candlelight, sipping port.

It's amazing how utterly black it really can be with no illumination from the clock radio, wireless modem, powered USB hub, microwave clock etc. Absolutely black.

Although part of me revelled in this adventure, another part of me resented it of course. I had a million things to do last night, once of which was watching the 2h season finale of Cashmere Mafia on TV. I was also supposed to be sorting the study-cleanout-clutter, plus doing some other computer work that required the internet . . . pre wireless modem I might have achieved this with the laptop battery, but my new modem is powered so that was impossible.

It's amazing how dependent we are on electricity these days. How would we have entertained ourselves for night upon night in days gone by? Told stories by the camp fire? Played music? Slept?

What do my various characters do every night in my non-tech fantasy world?

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, we *know* what your characters do, don't we? Well, eventually, anyway! No, really, they sleep when it's dark, just as many of us do when camping. Burn lots of tallow if they're in the castle, I presume.

    Our fence blew down, but at least we had power all night. Hope you got someone to tape your show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen, sorry I missed your Page Turners - I had been most of the way through listening to the book when the storm hit and there are no prizes for guessing what I spent the next five days doing. What sort of comments came on the book? I found it bleak, plodding plot, really noticed the lack of names (but recognise that both the plot and the lack of names reflect the 'reality' of the world the man and the boy live in.

    ReplyDelete