Sunday, 6 April 2008

Vixens rise from Phoenix ashes


This weekend marked the opening of the new ANZ Championship -- a trans Tasman netball competition between 5 Australian and 5 New Zealand teams. The mighty Melbourne Phoenix is no more, and instead we have the Melbourne Vixens, which has been dubbed "The dream tema". In truth it is a formidable team on paper, comprising the best of the Phoenix and Melbourne Kestrals teams. They are already favourites to win the championship.

Netball on TV is both better and worse this year. Better, because all games are being televised live. Worse, because this is all happening on Foxtel. I have been debating whether to take the plunge and subscribe to Foxtel. Mostly I am against it, because the last thing I need is more TV to watch. and this would be $60 a month for a minimum of 2 years. But how to survive without seeing the netball? There are only six home games all season.

The best solution was to go watch it at a pub, but then the challenge was to find one that would show netball instead of football or some other sport. I was at my wits' end, until I received an e-mail on Friday announcing that the Vixens club had arranged for a North Melb pub to show the netball. Yay! So off I went yesterday to the Leveson to watch the first Vixens game.

It turned out to be great. Not many turned up, but that meant I could grab a stool, sit at the bar and have an unobstructed view of the screen. I couldn't hear the commentary too well, but you can't have everything I suppose! I was really glad that I could watch the game. And as an added bonus the girls won the game convincingly, 50-33.

1 comment:

  1. The Leveson is a great pub! Haven't been there for a while but it used to be one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete