Tuesday, 13 May 2008

Technology in transition

I'm in the process of changing computers and it's not going smoothly -- hence the week-long silence. The new computer will be supremely fast with a hard disk about four times the size of my legacy beast, but it's been misbehaving (operating system crashes). So, after much meddling and fiddling, the new lap top is now headed back to the manufacturer.

It's going to be lovely though. My current soon-to-be-retired computer will no longer stay hooked on to a WLAN . . . and I do rather enjoy the notion of connectivity in front of the TV. It's amazing how quickly you get used to it! Plus the new wireless modem is a lot faster than my antiquated USB 'speedtouch'. This morning (before I gave up the new one) I checked my e-mail over breakfast. It's so quick to boot up!

Ironically, however, today my VPN issues were sorted for my 'old' computer! Its inability to access our work server was the main driver for replacement, but suddenly the cause has been found and I have VPN!

Ssshhh . . . I am still holding out for the faster, larger, sleeker, groovier, newer computer. There comes a time when you have to move on to bigger and better. Now is that time. Although it's always a pain to reconfigure everything and get it back "just the way you like it" the rewards will be worth it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment