Monday, 9 June 2008

Feeling sorry for myself

It's depressing how easy it is to fall out of the habit of writing. When I have good momentum, I seem to have so much time for it. Every free hour is put to good use. I even seem able to get up early and write before work. I can sit down at 10pm at churn out words for a couple of hours.

But when I have no momentum, there seems to be no time whatsoever. I know it will take a couple of hours to 'get back into it' and finding such a slab of time seems nigh on impossible. I wouldn't even contemplate starting at this time of night, and am certainly far too tired to consider a session before work. The perspective is completely different.

I have a couple of friends participating in the '50K in 30 days' challenge, which sounds rather like NaNoWriMo. They are putting me to shame. I cannot honestly see how I could do 50K in a month, given my current workload, but that doesn't give me an excuse to write nothing at all.

I confess I think I gave up on June before it had even started. I had engagements for much of this past weekend, and the next two will be spent travelling to and from Singapore. And so I look ahead to July, which will be an entire year after I finished my draft, and reflect that I have really wasted a helluva lot of time!

2 comments:

  1. Hope the trip to Singapore is good. Can you write on the plane? I wrote half a chapter on the way to Fiji, and that was with my 5 year old asking me questions every two minutes! I find flying a great time to write because there's nothing else I 'should' be doing.

    If not, I'm sure your mojo will retuen soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, not sure. I think if I was in a good rhythm I possibly could, except I'd be paranoid that people might be reading over my shoulder! As it stands, I doubt it. However, I will have my computer with me, so you've planted a seed . . .

    I hope my mojo returns soon too. At the moment I feel like a couch potato.

    ReplyDelete