Monday, 16 June 2008

Shopping

It's the last week of the "Great Singapore Sale", so this afternoon I thought I'd check out what it's all about. Orchard Rd is evidently the place where it's at, so . . . there I went for what I expected to be the ultimate Singapore shopping experience.

I have to say it was a bit of a let-down.

I found the shopping malls OK. Orchard Rd is lined on both sides with one shopping mall after another. It was busy without being packed, so no true crowds as such. But I just didn't find what I was looking for.

What was I looking for? I suppose I thought I might have purchased some clothes for work, maybe some shoes. But I didn't recognise many of the shops, so that put me on the back foot. Neither did any of the clothes in the windows really appeal too much. Moreover, so many of the shops were clearly designer shops, so how was I supposed to tell which were the affordable ones? And finally, how could one tell what was on sale? It really wasn't very obvious to me (in the one shop where I tried stuff on).

I went into three shopping malls in total, and they all seemed very much the same. After an hour and a half of patrolling sleek white-tiled surfaces and riding escalators I was fairly bored.

One thing there's no shortage of here is coffee. There are numerous franchises -- Starbucks, The Coffee Bean and Tealeaf, The Coffee Club -- some familar, some not. So at this point I had a coffee. After which I ranged rapidly through a supermarket and then made my way back to base -- the "Costa Del Sol" condo complex.

Thus endeth my Singapore shopping experience. Items purchased: one reusable shopping bag, some fruit, a box of breakfast cereal. Not quite what I had in mind when I set out!

No comments:

Post a Comment