Wednesday, 26 November 2008

Nearest book project

This looks fun!

Rules:
* Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence as a comment then repost these instructions in a note to your facebook wall (or blog!).
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

OK, so the nearest book to me right now is in a bookshelf with many other books, so I have a choice within reason!

I've chosen Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion: "Try one and see why artichoke devotees feast on these thistles each spring with such enthusiasm."

4 comments:

  1. It is interesting to look at random sentences out of context. In some cases, I am curious to know more. The book nearest to me (now) is 'Odalisque' by Fiona McIntosh, and the 5th sentence on page 56 is:

    "The story told that these were part of her army, supposedly turned to stone by Maliz in the last great battle."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I saw your post on facebook, which is what inspired me.

    I have Odalisque as well, although I haven't read it. It's not a book I would have predicted you'd have though! How came you by that? Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, are you suggesting that it might not be readily available here in NL, or that it is something I would not normally pick up? ;P

    I got it as a birthday present from Mum and Dad. Dad had read it and enjoyed it. I just finished it and also thought it was pretty good. A bit predictable in parts, but it sucked me in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. both, actually, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I should read it.

    ReplyDelete