Monday, 26 January 2009

Superfoods

I came across an interesting article on the WW newsletter this morning, which outlines 10 foods that are 'must-haves' in your diet for various reasons. It says: These 10 foods pack a nutritious punch with vitamins and minerals that can help kick your weight loss and fuel your body with the good stuff.

The full article is here and the 10 foods are:
  1. blueberries
  2. extra-lean beef
  3. fresh herbs
  4. legumes (including chickpeas, kidney beans, blackbeans)
  5. oats
  6. oranges
  7. raw nuts (in small portions)
  8. spinach
  9. tomatoes
  10. yoghurt (watch the sugar content)
Out of the above list, I have most on my regular shopping list, but I confess I'm not that into oranges, oats (which I'm allergic to) and legumes. Something to keep in mind though!

5 comments:

  1. I have started using legumes more in both my lunches and dinners. Tinned tuna, capsicum (in small pieces), chopped red onion, chickpeas and maybe some chili flakes makes for a great lunch. And the other evening, I made a really easy mung bean dhal. As they say here in Holland, lekker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I've just realised I've actually been buying sprout mixes (mung beans, lentils etc) to have on salads, so maybe I am eating them after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love oranges, I must say. It's no. 1 I have trouble with -- I don't particularly like them, and they're so expensive. I don't have oats that often -- mainly in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't like blueberries? (orders headcheck)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're okay, but I'd much rather have grapes. They just seem overrated and overpriced. I don't get the attraction really. But oranges... Mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete