Wednesday, 11 February 2009

Fireflattened

It's been a depressing week. So much death and despair as the result of these horrific bushfires throughout Victoria. Many are still burning. Whole towns have been wiped off the map and communities destroyed. Every person I know knows someone who has been affected somehow.

I feel flat and morose. Can't apply myself to anything much. There are so many things I could/should have been doing (because, ironically, the weather has become very cool), but I've done none of them. Not completed my weekend washing. Not taken out the rubbish. Not vacuumed. Not made any work calls to editors in England. Certainly not done any writing, and it would have been the perfect week for it. But I just can't.

Instead I've been a couch potato, staring at the computer screen, at bushfire reports, at fire maps . . . or watching television news reports that show the same horror over and over with new twists. Eating chocolate, because that's what I do when I get depressed.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you're too far away from the action? Wanna come up to the farm?
    Only kidding.
    I am so over the whole fires thing. On Monday I found myself freaking out more than on Saturday, and going around in circles. "Perhaps I should move the horses? Where to? How?" In the end I decided to leave the horses where they are and just keep an eye on the weather reports.
    I have HAD to start doing stuff, washing, folding, vaccuuming to keep myself busy and just moving on.
    Need some sanity time, before next Saturday, more hot weather, a wind change, and next bout of fires.

    In the meantime, I have a bone to pick with the government. If this is not evidence of climate change, then I don't know what is. So don't promise us your usual tearful B.S.! Take a brave step forward and promise us clean energy. Become the leader in reversing climate change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, agreed. Take climate change needs to be taken seriously.

    Good luck for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete