Wednesday, 24 June 2009

15 top books in 15 minutes (ish)

A new book list challenge: Fifteen books I've read that will always stick with me.

The rules are: First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes. Tag 15 friends, including me because I'm interested in seeing what books my friends choose. DON'T TAKE TOO LONG TO THINK ABOUT IT.

OK, so here goes in no particular order:

  1. The Liveship Traders (trilogy) by Robin Hobb
  2. The Secret History by Donna Tartt
  3. The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
  4. Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin
  5. The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay
  6. Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen (also Persuasion)
  7. My Sister's Keeper by Jodie Piccoult
  8. Mordant's Need (duology) by Stephen Donaldson
  9. Devil's Cub by Georgette Heyer (plus many others)
  10. Olivia Joules & the overactive imagination by Helen Fielding
  11. House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III
  12. The Ruins of Ambrai by Melanie Rawn
  13. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  14. The undomestic goddess by Sophie Kinsella
  15. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

I actually struggled to come up with this list of 15. Many of the above I have read multiple times, plus there's a lot of fantasy (and quite a lot of fantasy I left off in an attempt to keep it balanced). I'm sure there are other amazing books I have read, but I can't think of them right now. I tried to base this on books I entreat other people to read, or find myself lending to people.

2 comments:

  1. So I just put together my list but then accidentally closed my browser, and so it is gone. Since it took me way longer than 15 minutes to put together, I'm not going to try it again (even if I do remember all of the list) :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are my 15 books:

    White Fang by Jack London
    Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
    Kazan by James Oliver Curwood
    Baree, Son of Kazan by James Oliver Curwood
    Call of the wild by Jack London
    Martin Eden by Jack London
    Travels with my Aunt by Graham Greene
    Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
    A song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay
    The Deluge (Polish: Potop) Trilogy by Henryk Sienkiewicz
    Natural Horse Care by Pat Coleby
    Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
    The Silver Brumby by Elyne Mitchell
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
    Children of Captain Grant by Jules Verne

    Took me more than 15 minutes to come up with it, not to mention totally not remembering some titles. Let alone authors. I would just like to clarify something though. Having read Kazan, then Baree, then White Fang - all books about dogs/wolves, for a while I refused to read anything that wasn't about a wolf-dog.

    ReplyDelete