Wednesday, 30 September 2009

Time to get on with it

It's been over two months since I subbed the first 50p of my manuscript for the Hachette Australia manuscript development program, and aside from my brief 'words blooming' in early September, I haven't written a cursed thing.

For weeks I have been searching for a way back into the zone, trying to find a decent expanse of time, knowing I desperately need an immersion weekend down at the island. I believe I have identified an appropriate weekend (still over two weeks away) and hope madly that nothing comes up to prevent me from going down there. For, although I continue to plan and scheme for writing time at home, I fear I will need that weekend down at the island to kick-start my brain again.

Somewhat perversely, I am feeling relieved just now, having heard I was unsuccessful in my submission for the Hachette program. Of course I am disappointed (although not nearly as gutted as last time), but I can't help but think that had I been compelled to sub the rest of the novel (partly still in first draft format) it would have felt rather pointless to continue rewriting. As it is, I am back in isolation again, all on my own. It's now completely up to me what happens from here, and I should be able to just get on with it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you missed out, Ellen. :(

    ReplyDelete