Monday, 7 December 2009

Ripping heads (or 'a day in the garden')

There come times in life when you feel as though you are wrenched from one thing to another with barely time to take a breath. After a while, you get a headache and then you start ripping others' heads off. The funny thing is that I'm enjoying all the various activities I've taken on, when I consider them individually. But I am someone who needs downtime. Me time. And the constant pressure of my massive To Do list is starting to take its toll.

This weekend, I did manage to break the back of one item that has been bugging me for months -- my jungle in the back yard. I have lost track of the number of weekends when it was either too cold/wet, too hot, or I was too busy to spend the few hours required to rip into the weed-infested 'garden'. But somehow conditions were perfect yesterday, so I made the most of them. It was hard work, but satisfying, and the relief I feel when I glance out the window is significant.

Not that I'm there yet with the back yard . . . My lawn is still a disaster -- more weed than grass these days, alas. And there is much pruning and planting to be done. And ripping out of dead plants that haven't survived the drought. In recent years I've grown lettuce, tomatoes and various herbs, but I don't think I'm up for that this year. Who would have thought I'd have so much difficulty tending such a small garden as mine? Am seriously considering getting a gardener.

On the absolute upside, I can now cross off 'weed garden' from my list, despite the fact that 'weed lawn' and 'prune' remain. Next weekend, however, it will be time to swing into other activities, so who knows when I'll get back to the garden? I have the feeling that Sunday was it -- my day in the garden -- for a while at least.

3 comments:

  1. It was for the very reason that gardens take up time that we opted for a place without a garden ;) The only 'gardening' on my to do list is to water the pot plants! (and even that gets somewhat neglected :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that I consider time in the garden as "me time". And pruning is on my number one enjoyable list. You just hack into those plants without mercy, thinking you're hacking into all your bothersome moments during the day or week. And you know the plants love it, and they look great afterwards.

    As for weeds. We don't weed. Weeds grow because the soil contains the wrong bacteria. To correct this, you need good compost and compost tea. That's my other favourite garden task. Creating and turning the compost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pruning is OK, I don't mind that (although I never know if I'm doing it at the right time!)

    I have problems with weeds in one garden bed only. And because I keep letting them go to seed, the problem gets worse.

    ReplyDelete