Thursday, 25 March 2010

Carbs: TW minus 3 weeks

After another lacklustre walk effort last Saturday (for Footsloggers post see here) I had an epiphany: I'm not eating enough carbs. In fact, I'm not eating enough of anything during these walks. I've been focusing so hard on blister preventation/maintenance and hydration, that the fundamental need for FUEL was forgotten.

According to AIS research Emma dug up, we are supposed to be consuming 30-60g carbs per hour. That's either a muesli bar, or 1.5 apples, or a banana, or 40g chocolate, or 1/2 sugary sports drink, or a wholegrain sandwich, or half a large can of baked beans every hour.

So last weekend's walk (Two Bays walk, Mornington Peninsula, 37km) was disappointing, but I feel so much better now that I've solved the problem. I am now actually looking forward to this Saturday's walk (Checkpoint 4 - Olinda to Checkpoint 7 - Warburton, 48km) so I can put my new eating plan into action. I intend to feel AMAZING at the walk's conclusion at about midnight on Saturday night. I don't quite know how I'm going to eat all that food, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

I attended the final information night tonight, where we received some insight into facilities, formalities and what to expect during the event. It's getting so close now. This weekend will be the final long walk before we taper, so we need to make it count. It's the last 'dress rehearsal' and we're still experimenting! But I feel much more positive and encouraged than I have in a few weeks, so bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment