Thursday, 20 May 2010

Lost in fantasy land

One thing luring me closer to actually producing the written word at the moment is immersion in fantasy novels. It has been quite a while since I've had the time to read so much, and it's reminding me why I love the genre. It's also reconditioning me, in some strange way, into writing it. The very act of reading fantasy is reigniting the excitement, like a chemical reaction. My brain goes into this weird place where I read and appreciate and feel compelled to reengage with my novel.

The irony is of course that I can't write while reading. And at the moment, reading is infinitely easier. I've had the occasional thought that maybe I'll just give up on writing and simply be a reader -- after all there are plenty of fabulous books out there. I can't possibly read all the ones I want to, so why make it hard for myself...? But that thought leaves me feeling empty and not myself, so I guess I am destined to be always trying to write at the very least.

I'm going to make the most of reading opportunities for now and hopefully fuel the 'want'. As I am sure I have stated elsewhere on this blog, what good is it if a writer doesn't have time to read? (And, yes, this is shameless rationalisation, but I'm sticking to it!)

4 comments:

  1. Don't give up, Ellen! The reading is a good thing. Think of it this way: every time you read/see something that sets your imagination on fire, it's like funnelling fuel into a creative petrol tank. So let it stock up, and once the tank is full again, you can rev back into writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's exactly how it feels too, Foz! No, I'm not going to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only way to be a great writer is to be a great reader! I've heard too many authors I respect say that for me to ignore it. So keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. after all, how else to be in touch with readers?

    ReplyDelete