Wednesday, 16 June 2010

3DTV - it's all an illusion

I've spent the past two days immersed in the intricacies of 3DTV. It has swept in with World Cup fever and everyone is oh so excited about it. That is, unless you're really sceptical that it will ever take off, which many people are.

I'm not going to pass judgement on that, because it's early days yet, but I can tell you that it's a very interesting topic. For instance, these 3DTVs that are being sold in shops -- they actually display alternating left-eye right-eye images at a very fast speed (imperceptible to the human eye), and those dorky-but-expensive glasses block your vision in the 'wrong' eye in perfect synchronisation, courtesy of an IR transmitter on the TV. Then your brain assembles the illusion of the 3D image.

During the course of my research I've read comments from plenty of sceptics -- definitely the glasses are the biggest turn-off, so the technologists are going to have to do something about those. But I did chuckle at the man who complained that he spent $4K on a new 3D TV and 8 pairs of 'active shutter' glasses at $150 each, all to watch the State of Origin rugby match being broadcast in 3D as part of a current free-to-air trial, only to discover that the area he lived didn't get coverage from the trial. . .

It will be very interesting to see how/if 3DTV takes off over the coming years. On the subject of 3D images not requiring glasses, I can't help but wonder why they can't use the same or similar technology as the 'Magic Eye' images use? Or perhaps these are only possible because it's only dealing with shape. In any case, I do rather like them (and have a link to the site in my side bar if anyone is interested).

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across your magic eye link about two weeks ago and lost about an hour there. They are still so cool after all these years!

    ReplyDelete