Wednesday, 7 July 2010

'Bum on seat'

Tonight I was bone-numbingly tired after a horrible day at work, but I turned the computer on, opened my work-in-progress and attempted to produce some words. Just write a paragraph, I tell myself on such occasions, because we all know that the biggest effort is 'bum on seat' and that once you actually engage with the WIP and write that first paragraph for the day, that it invariably turns into two, then five, and soon you have a page.

In theory. It didn't happen for me tonight, but at least the intent and effort were there. At around 9pm I read through the scene written to-date, fiddled around the edges in a few spots, introduced a couple of lines of dialogue, and then my lids grew heavy and I was sitting in front of the computer with my eyes closed. At 9:40 I decided to go do the dishes.

Part of my problem of course is starting too late, which is the fault of working too late and getting home too late. There's also the little problem of reading too late, which isn't helping with the leaden eye syndrome.

So tonight it wasn't to be, but perhaps I'll have more luck tomorrow. As long as I achieve 'bum on seat' (and for the first time in many weeks I'm back at my desk instead of the couch with the all too tempting TV) and open the WIP and get at least a few words down, I can't really ask much more of myself at present. If the words come, that's great. If they don't, it won't be because I didn't give them a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment