Saturday, 24 July 2010

Dessert

After an extremely tough and draining week, a spot of indulgence was called for. This saw me at not one, but two dessert bars on consecutive evenings. Not good for the waistline, but oh so good for the soul.

First on Friday night was the Lindt Chocolat Cafe in the city, where I partook of cauliflower and bacon soup (with suspected lashings of cream), hazelnut hot chocolate (might as well have been liquid nutella), and a shared waffle with vanilla icecream and molten chocolate. Went home so full I could barely stand.

Following this chocolate orgy, I starved myself today in preparation for tonight's excursion to il Fornaio in St Kilda, where Philippa Sibley has established a dessert bar. Here, I was finally able to have her 'famous snickers' dessert (otherwise known as caramel parfait glace with salted peanut caramel and milk chocolate mousse) as featured on MasterChef. OMG yum. This was preceded by an also delightful light meal of smoked salmon, game tarine and falafels, shared in tapas style, and accompanied by a very decent coffee. The best thing about tonight's outing was the quality -- and not the quantity -- of the food. I left feeling warm and satisfied, but not at all full or about to explode. Wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking that a trip to Il Fornaio might be needed when we are in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get no argument from me!

    ReplyDelete