Sunday, 26 September 2010

Carnivors get much-needed TLC

I am madly working through my list of 'things to get done before I go away', and spent much of this weekend attending to my carnivorous plants. I haven't repotted them in three years, which is bad, and some of the rhizomes have died -- whether from neglect or old age, I'm not sure. They are old, these plants. I've had most of them for over 20 years. They are the one thing I squander water on. But I haven't squandered quite as much water on them in the past year or so; and I fear this, coupled with the lack of repotting (which should have been done last Spring, but I was busy and preoccupied with Trailwalker), has not agreed with them.

Repotting these plants this month has therefore been a high priority as I countdown the weekends until departure. For the first time I mixed up all the pots -- that is, every pot has a mix of different Sarracenia types in it. I figured it would be a good thing to have fewer pots in total (in which aim I was aided by several rotting rhizomes), and I have long forgotten what all the individual ones are anyway... I hope and believe they will come good in their new pots. They're a bit behind where they usually are at this time of year, but many are shooting up flowers, so it can't be all bad.

Pictured is my collection in October 2006. I'm sorry to say they don't look anywhere near as good as this at the moment. But, fingers crossed, they will in a few months!

1 comment:

  1. I am sure that the TLC that you have given them will do wonders.

    ReplyDelete