Wednesday, 29 September 2010

The new world of eBooks

I have finally taken the plunge and bought a Kindle. Purchasing some form of eReader has been on the cards for a few months now, ever since my Born to Run experience in May. But I was not convinced about getting a Kindle specifically until recently. It seemed as though there were so many models of eReader on the market to choose from, and with a Kindle you're pretty much locked into buying books from Amazon.

In truth, I probably wouldn't have bought an eReader of any kind yet, if I wasn't going travelling in three weeks. But the thought of lugging multitudes of paperbacks around with me does not appeal. It's a long trip (10 weeks) and I intend to get a lot of reading done! So I decided I would get something at the cheaper end of the scale -- and believe it or not, that's where the Kindle sits.

There's also the superior functionality and accessibility. I read an article comparing the Kindle, Kobo and one other, and the Kindle came out way ahead -- on cost as well. It's so damn easy. It's to other eReaders what the iPhone is to normal phones (functionally at least). Once I confirmed that it would read just about any other type of 'document' file you care to name (including PDFs, doc and txt files -- the only one it doesn't read is ePub), it seemed the right decision for right now.

So I browsed Amazon on Friday evening, having more or less decided beforehand, read all the stuff and ordered one on the spot. The unit was delivered on Monday morning. Within two hours it was charged, and without me doing anything was pre-registered to my Amazon account. So now, all I have to do is browse the Amazon Kindle store (via either computer or Kindle), click "buy" on the book of choice, and the whole thing appears on the Kindle within a minute or so via 3G connectivity!

It's early days yet in terms of my usage. At the moment, I probably would still prefer to read a normal paperback, because it's more difficult to flick through a Kindle book (I daresay reading on the Kindle will stop me from reading the end of the book before I actually reach it). And there are heaps of books I can think of that are not available for Kindle yet. Not that I'm desparing -- there are still plenty that are available. I can see that in the future I will rarely have the excuse that "I couldn't find the book in time" when I don't get my Page Turners book finished!

For travelling the Kindle will be ideal. Lightweight, with books in English available from wherever I happen to be -- so long as there's mobile phone (or WiFi) coverage. And the reading experience is fine. Time will tell, I suppose, as to whether it becomes more than fine and I become a 100% convert. For the moment, I am reserving judgement.

1 comment:

  1. Cool. I'm not holding out to buy one at the moment, but I reckon if you're travelling they're a must.

    ReplyDelete