Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Sookie Stackhouse books

I've recently read the first two novels in the 'Sookie Stackhouse' series by Charlaine Harris (Dead until Dark and Living Dead in Dallas) and have found them a fun and entertaining read - perfect for travelling. For the uninitiated, these are books about telepathic bar waitress Sookie and her vampire boyfriend Bill, and explore Vampire (and supernatural being) politics and small town misadventure (ie murder), in a USA where vampires are 'out' and bloodsucking doesn't necessarily kill you. They are also the foundation for the TV series True Blood.

I haven't seen True Blood yet, so am reading the novels with an untainted view. They're light and funny and have an interesting take on integrating vampires into human society. The style is a little odd - perhaps even simplistic - but it kind of suits the voice of Sookie, who narrates.

Anyway, after hearing so much about the books and TV show, it's fun to read some of the books. There are quite a few more in the series, which I might read, since they're so easy to download on the kindle.

2 comments:

  1. I read the first one on hols last year, which I liked but got bored halfway through the second. You are doing the right thing by reading them before watching True Blood, though. I came to the books as a big fan of the show and found myself disappointed. If I'd read the books first I might have been able to enjoy them more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured as much. I am now really keen to start watching the TV series!
    I'm not addicted to the books, but they're nice and light and easy to take while travelling.

    ReplyDelete