Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (movie - part 1)

I was finally able to see the new Harry Potter movie last night, despite having been in the UK for 2 weeks already. As with all the movies, I think I probably need to see it again in order to really know what I think of it. As far as I can recall from the book (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows), part 1 of the movie stays remarkably close . . . and I certainly enjoyed the movie; however, my initial impressions are that it moved a little too slowly in parts, sketched over characters I felt deserved more weight (a recurring complaint from me with the HP movies, but they had more scope with this one, being a two-parter, so no excuses), and the dramatic scenes all felt a little under-done, under-whelming, somehow. I can't help but feel that only those who have read the book will be able to follow the movie, and with all the extra time available this should not have happened.

On the upside, though, the film depicted events pretty much exactly as I imagined them for the most part, and I definitely want to see it again, particularly when part 2 of the movie comes out. I enjoyed the overall experience -- wouldn't have missed it for the world -- and am definitely hanging out for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment