Friday, 18 February 2011

Irony

I am currently reading The Winter of our Disconnect by Susan Maushart - How three totally wired teenagers (and a mother who slept with her iPhone) pulled the plug on their technology and lived to tell the tale.

It's a true story about a recent (2009) 6-month experiment, in which a family eschews all digital screens (TVs, iPods, computers...) in the home to reconnect with life instead. The author was greatly influenced in this by Henry David Thoreau and his book Walden, which I gather is the account of Thoreau's two-year 'experiment in living' in the North American Wilderness.

I'm only a couple of chapters in, but already it's striking a chord within me as it discusses the modern trend of today's youth in inhabiting (as opposed to using) digital media. While I am not anywhere close to simultaneously instant messaging, facebooking, twittering/tweeting, skyping . . . and whatever else there is, I certainly find myself effortlessly clicking between my facebook community and my local work-in-progress on a daily (and all-day) basis.

It's too early for me to know what the main message of this book is going to be, but I do find it ironic that at the very time I am reading a book that scrutinises these digital habits, I established my first LinkedIn account. More digital 'connections' to add to my network, and a whole new way of managing my career. More reasons to remain glued to the computer, or my impending iPhone...

No comments:

Post a Comment