Friday, 18 March 2011

Journey through Middle Earth

I'm a bit of a fan of the Lord of the Rings movies. Sometimes I put one or other of them on as background to my cooking or cleaning or whatever. I've seen them so many times that I don't actually need to watch them anymore; it's enough just to listen and all the scenes unfold in my head.

Or so I thought. For the third evening in a row I'm ensconced in front of a LOTR movie -- Return of the King, as you might expect. I did manage to do a few things while watching the first two over the past two nights, but somehow it hasn't been as easy to tear myself away from the visual as I'd anticipated. (I didn't even try tonight. It's Friday.)

OK, so to say I'm a fan is a slight understatement. I love these movies. I love their majesty, I love the underlying theme that even the smallest person can make a difference, I love the visual realisation of Middle Earth and all its cultures. (Oh, it's Eowyn's big moment . . . I am no man!) I love Orlando Bloom as Legolas and Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn. I love it all. In my view the scriptwriters did a fabulous job, for the most part. Sure, there are some things I would have rather not be added, omitted or changed, and sometimes the timing seems a bit off, but they captured the essence of the story so amazingly well. All right, I'll stop there . . .

My point is . . . actually, I don't think I have a point. I'm just sitting here enjoying myself and I had to share. (Sam: "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" What a hero.)

No comments:

Post a Comment