Saturday, 30 July 2011

C25K - week 1

Part of the mission to get my life under control includes improving fitness, so I've taken the plunge and embarked on the C25K (couch to 5km) running program. It's a 9 week interval training program that is supposed to get you off the couch and running 5km (or for half an hour) by the end of it. I don't really plan to take up running as a habit -- I don't think -- but it seems like a good project for the moment. I wanted something a bit more aerobic than merely walking. And, in my current jobless state, running is free!

I figure if I mention it here I will have a greater chance of actually seeing it through. Because it's hard. I've completed the first week, which comprises three half-hour sessions in which you alternately run for 60s and walk for 90s (8 times) with warm-up and cool-down walks either side. Harder than it sounds! And it didn't get any easier throughout the week, and I don't quite know how I'm going to manage the extra challenge of week 2 . . .

There are heaps of podcasts and smartphone apps that have been created to facilitate the program. I downloaded the first week podcast from here. Basically it plays appropriate music with a voiceover that tells you when to start/stop running. I won't say it's fun, but it feels worthwhile. (Somehow I don't imagine I will become addicted to running like some people do.)


2 comments:

  1. Good Luck! I hope to add your pic to my Wall of Fame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, thanks, Carli! And thanks for the podcasts, which are amazing.

    ReplyDelete