Sunday, 21 August 2011

Fitness mission - week 4

So another week of gym/Curves workouts and C25K walk/jogging, another week of feeling virtuous and vigorous.

I'm still really enjoying the gym workouts, especially the fact they ensure I'm out of bed and exercised, showered and breakfasted by 8:30am. The workouts themselves are fun and social, and in my view this is definitely the way to do exercise!

On the other hand, I'm still not much enjoying the jogging, especially since C25K week 4 was a huge step up from week 3. The program for week 4 consists of [3 min jog - 90s walk - 5 min jog - 2.5 min walk] X 2 sandwiched between the 5 minute warmup and warmdown walks. That final 5 min jog saw me shuffling along like Cliff Young in his gumboots.

I've only done two sessions of week 4 so far, because I substituted the 3rd session for a hill-training session instead. This morning saw me with a couple of friends in the Dandenong Ranges National Park on the popular 'Kokoda Memorial Trail', otherwise known as the 1000 steps. We climbed the steps twice (15-20 min each time) which was a good aerobic workout, oh yes indeedy! A lovely Spring-like morning too. I dug out my trailrunners for the first time since last April and gave them something to do.

I'll do the 3rd session of C25K week 4 tomorrow and assess whether I'm ready for week 5, which is another massive step up. Something tells me there's a good chance I'll stick with week 4 for now and move on to week 5 the following week.


No comments:

Post a Comment