Friday, 5 August 2011

Two fruit, three veg... and then some

Today I received my fourth fruit and vegetable crate from Aussie Farmers Direct. Every fortnight a mystery box appears as if by magic on my doorstep (I never hear the delivery van, even when I'm home). I haul it inside and lift the lid, and discover what luscious fresh produce lies within . . . And then I have to figure out what I'm going to do with it!

The first week's box was by far the most challenging: a whole cabbage, brussel sprouts, a fennel and celery (among other things). None of which I would ever buy. Since then the contents have been a little more in my line -- lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and potatoes every time, some fresh herbs . . . this week I have mushrooms, silver beet and baby spinach too. Not to mention fruit -- oranges, apples, pears, mandarins, kiwi fruit and I've even had an entire cantaloupe and pineapple.

I embarked on AFD in order to improve the amount of fresh fruit and vegetables I eat. It's a radical step for me, who doesn't like cooking much, and it will be interesting to see if I can keep up with cooking and eating all the food when I start working again. I've already had to offload some lettuce, carrots and potatoes, because they just keep accumulating!

But overall I'm really enjoying it. It's forcing me to eat a more diverse range of foods -- which was another objective -- and the quality of the produce is really good. I've become a bit of an AFD evangelist actually.

3 comments:

  1. We've followed your lead -- my sister also swears by them -- and have been very happy so far. We order the stuff we want. The fish and the yoghurt have probably been the highlights so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. I signed another friend up today too. I should get a commission :-)

    Haven't tried anything beyond fruit and veg yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents get this, through AFD too - they are pretty happy with the fruit & veg boxes, but they don't recommend the meat

    ReplyDelete