Thursday, 10 November 2011

Something Borrowed

OK, I'm going to share something a little embarrassing. But it's also funny. And weird.

It all started on the flight to San Diego two weeks ago, when I watched the RomCom movie Something Borrowed. It's a perfect movie for a plane -- light, funny, happy ending . . . So at the end of the flight, after watching X-Men First Class and catching some zzzz's (on my three seats!), I watched Something Borrowed again.

I don't normally repeat-watch on a plane, but something about this movie really grabbed me. On the surface it's nothing special. Six years ago, Rachel (Ginnifer Goodwin) introduced her best friend Darcy (Kate Hudson) to Dex (Colin Egglesfield), Rachel's fellow law student, who she has a crush on but thinks he'd never be interested in her. Now Darcy and Dex are engaged, with Rachel the maid of honour, but an offhand remark from Rachel in which she admits having had a crush on Dex during law school, leads to Dex admitting similar feelings and the two end up having a guilty affair . . .

Not everyone agrees with me, but I like the chemistry between Rachel and Dex, and I love the setup, because it feels like something that could really happen. The moral dilemma is brilliant. Sleeping with your best friend's fiance is BAD BAD BAD (as is sleeping with your fiance's best friend), but somehow I'm really moved by the scenario of Rachel and Dex actually liking each other first, realising feelings they've buried but which have not gone away. Should they pretend nothing has happened? Should Dex marry Darcy, who he realises is the wrong woman? Should he break up with her without pursuing Rachel?

The story is made slightly more palatable by depicting Darcy as an obnoxious character, who cheats on Dex, but Rachel, essentially a good person, is still riven with guilt . . . and yet strives to win Dex for herself. There is no neat answer. Someone is always going to be hurt.

Anyway, I liked it. So on the return flight . . . after watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Larry Crowne . . . I watched Something Borrowed again.

And then, when I was passing JB HiFi and browsed the DVD section . . . yes, all right so I'm a tad obsessed. And I watched it again last Saturday night!

So now I've watched the movie four times in two weeks. And then (this is so embarrassing) I downloaded the original novel by Emily Giffin onto my kindle and I'm er . . . reading it. In my defence, it makes a good public transport read for my tedious commute to Brooklyn (more on that later).

I really cannot explain what it is, but there's something about this movie that won't let me go! Don't think too badly of me. And if you've seen it (or read it), let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. So it's like 'chick lit' movies and books? OMG, you'd so never catch me doing either...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - It's more the repeated viewings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you, just watch this on HBO a few months ago, and it is something about the story that make me so sober. Rachel is the one that hiding her feeling, I felt like me. The truth will make you fly even though it hurts someone feeling.

    ReplyDelete