Friday, 20 January 2012

In need of a time-turner, NOW

It's been a very chaotic start to the year for me. Two new writing initiatives. Relatively new job. High expectations of myself. Recipe for brian melt-down.

The first week I tried to do everything. I was up every morning before work writing, and after work I was back on the computer trying to catch up on all the Tweeting from my new 'pack' (the other 100 writers doing the blogging/social media platform course), reading lessons and trying to apply them, and on top of that trying to write my 500 words a day.

By the end of the week I was a wreck: high-strung, aggro, exhausted. But I did have the required quota of words!

However, it was pretty obvious to me after that one week that I wasn't going to be able to sustain such a pace. My goal is to write 500 words a day for the entire year -- or at least until I have a novel finished. But I also have to be realistic. I simply cannot do everything. If I'm exhausted, I can't actually do anything.

So I decided to accept that I could probably only do one thing each evening after work -- at least until I stop arriving home so drained. And I decided that burning the candle at both ends was counter-productive. I cannot function on 5 hours of sleep a night. I certainly cannot be creative. Everything suffers.

And I found myself resenting all that time spent with my face in front of the computer.

For the past two weeks I applied this decision. Didn't bother trying to be productive before work. And after work applied myself to one major activity: 500+ words . . . or a blog post . . . or a blog lesson . . . or some other activity out of the house. As a result I'm more sane, albeit still exhausted. But I am also frustrated by my failure to maintain my WIP500 goal. In theory it simply shouldn't be that hard! I can only hope that work will soon stop sapping my energy reserves and that all this blogging and social networking activity will calm down as well.

An unfortunate side-effect of all this activity is that I am having a lot of trouble focusing on one thing when I need to. I used to be really good at this, but these days I seem to have so many things in my head -- mostly things I want to be doing, or feel I should be doing -- that everything takes longer than it should. Especially the novel writing. I really hope I can regain my ability to focus. Maybe I need to do more exercise!

Because that's the other thing I need to try to fit into my life. Right now I don't know how I'm going to fit it in, but I do have plans to get back to the gym regularly. Eventually. Soon.

Simply too many things to do and not NEARLY enough time! I need Hermione's time-turner. Right Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment