Sunday, 29 July 2012

Now the netball's over, guess I'd better get productive

Today I finally had my Sunday afternoon back. For the past four months it's been netball season -- and that's meant double-header netball games on the TV or else a trip into Hisense Arena to watch the Melbourne Vixens live. (And then home again quick smart to watch the game again!)

Don't get me wrong, it's been a wonderful season. The Vixens finished the home and away rounds on top of the ladder after several amazing escapes that earned them the nickname 'comeback queens'. Those games, with the largest netball crowds ever in Melbourne, screaming and cheering and foot-stomping the team on to win in the dying moments, were spine-tingling.

The girls subsequently earned the right to host the grand final last weekend -- which I of course attended. All was looking good for most of the game, and then it fell apart in the last ten minutes and the Vixens went down by three goals to NZ's Waikato Bay of Plenty Magic. It was a great game and the Magic were worthy winners, despite it not being my preferred outcome.

But although I love the netball season, I'm happy it's over. That's a whole lot of time I now have back to reallocate to more productive endeavours.

And indeed not-so-productive endeavours. Today, for instance, I went to Chadstone Shopping Centre. I needed to go to the Nespresso store (only it turned out I didn't) and thought I'd take the opportunity to visit JB HiFi (where I was similarly thwarted). In fact, the only good thing about my visit to Chadstone was the fact I accumulated nearly 5,000 steps on my pedometer. Chadstone, I have decided (not for the first time, but I had forgotten), is horrible. It messes with your mind until you forget half the reasons you went and scamper away, totally traumatised.

I'm looking forward to utilising my Sunday afternoons to get some writing done in the coming weeks. I've identified a few cafes where I think I could sit for a couple of hours with the computer -- for weekend writing this seems to work best, because otherwise there's all that housework (and gardening) screaming at me. I might even make it a morning ritual... not sure what's going to work at this stage. No doubt it will vary. But so long as I can find a couple of hours of writing I'll be happy.

--------------------------------
With reference to last week's stated mission to turn the TV off, I will report moderate success during the last week. It wasn't always easy, but I managed it most evenings. Yay! However, with the Olympics now having started, I fear this progress was short-lived. Random sport is exactly the type of 'background' viewing that begs to be left on while I sprawl out with my computer (exactly as I am now). The good news is that I don't actually have to watch it, so might actually be able to write. I can certainly blog!




No comments:

Post a Comment