Saturday, 21 July 2012

The TV must go off

I've resolved to attempt weekly posts on this blog, and since discovering I can post from my phone I think it might actually be achievable. It's not ideal, but it does allow me to utilise some of the moments 'between'.

Right now, for instance, I'm sitting in the hair salon with a bunch of foils in my hair.

I've just been chatting with Dianna, my hair-guru, about how I need to start turning the television off. Yeah yeah, I know it sounds obvious, but I've got into some very bad habits. My current routine is this: home after work, TV goes on for the 7pm news, followed by 'something' at 7.30 while I eat dinner and unwind after work. (Currently the amazing race Australia on Monday, once upon a time on Tuesday, dr who on the other days.)

Then I'm supposed to turn the TV off so I can go write, but it seems I'm no longer capable of this. I tell myself I'll keep the TV on as background while I 'write' on the sofa... Or I nudge myself into a half-hour session on my cross training machine, which at least has the semblance of being productive (and while on WW and participating in the global corporate challenge I feel guilty if I don't do it).

And then there's social media and blogs... Time saps all of them. So, often by the time I'm ready to be productive it's late at night and I'm too tired for anything worthwhile.

Several years ago my routine was much better. I scoffed at people who had the TV on as background. I would come home, cook and eat at my computer, all without switching on the TV. I'd be writing by 8pm, with time and energy at the end for a blog post if I felt so inclined... Or I could go to bed and read (now there's a thought) satisfied I'd put words down on the page. The TV would only go on for something specific, and then it would go off again. I didn't mind spending all evening at my desk, after a day at the computer. I relished it!

Somehow I need to recapture that old routine. I know I must be able to do it. It all starts with not turning on the TV in the first place.

Last night I forced myself to switch it off at 8.30. My finger trembled on the remote and I had to pick it up three times before I pressed the button, but I did it. I switched on the study computer (as opposed to the couch computer) and after catching up on social media, managed to write a blog post (for the other blog). It was a start!

This coming week my mission will be to switch it off after my 7.30 shows, or not switch it on at all. The other thing I'll be attempting is writing BEFORE I look at email or any form of social media/blogs.

I'll report back on my progress next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment