Saturday, 11 August 2012

Winter of the boots

I remember a period during my undergraduate university years when I was in the habit of wearing skirts -- the long, flowing kind. I can't remember why I stopped (maybe they went out of fashion), but I did stop, and for years after that I became convinced that I 'don't wear dresses'.

For the next two decades (thereabouts) I habitually ONLY wore pants -- jeans, crops, tailored work pants, shorts -- unless I was going to a wedding. I never even looked at dresses or skirts in shops, and marvelled at all the women who wore them, wondering why? Selecting dresses to wear to weddings was torture.

I dress for comfort, while trying to not entirely sacrifice style (even if my own personal style). I spend so much time sitting at computers that my clothes need to have stretch. They need to be machine washable. They must not need ironing. In recent years I've developed a love of marino and modal, which meet ALL my criteria. Perhaps somehow I gained the impression that skirts and dresses didn't.

Anyway, the astute reader will have realised by now that I'm about to declare a change of heart. And it all happened because I finally bought myself a pair of boots.

Now, being a fantasy reader and writer, I'm partial to the idea of men and women in long boots with breeches tucked in. I can remember being a kid, wearing long boots over tracksuit pants (of all things -- how embarrassing!) and thinking myself very smart. But for many of my adult years my legs were simply too fat to wear boots, and by the time I was thin enough (although I still think I have fat legs) I just didn't get around to taking the plunge.

Even when I was in London 18 months ago in the dead of winter, and boots were everywhere, I didn't buy any. There were simply too many to choose from and I was completely overwhelmed.

This winter I decided to make it simple. There's a shop near me called Step Ahead, which stocks several European brands, including Wonders. I've bought and liked Wonders in the past. They're Spanish. They make boots. So I set off one Saturday to Step Ahead resolved to purchase a pair of boots. I tried on two pairs, both of which were wonderful, and settled on one.

OMG I love my boots.

They're flat and a fairly casual style, designed so you can walk in them, which is a must for me. (I've never worn heels much and now my podiatrist won't let me at all, owing to ligament damage.) And they have caused me to completely revise my wardrobe.

Firstly, I got to start wearing skinny jeans tucked into boots. For the past few seasons I'd been enviously watching other women doing this, and now I get to do it too. But that wasn't enough. I can't wear jeans to work, after all.

This is where dresses come in. I've discovered a penchant for tunic-style dresses. I can wear my marino icebreakers underneath with leggings and my boots-of-Spanish-leather, and the whole ensemble is way more comfortable than wearing 'normal' work clothes. AND, secretly (ssh), I can totally imagine myself in the garb some of my characters might be wearing! There's one of my tunics in particular, a blend of marino and something, in a soft shade of lilac-grey, that I'm sure my main character is going to wear at some point!

So this winter will go down in history as the winter of the boots -- and it just goes to show that one can completely redefine one's style at any time!

----------------------------------------------------------
On other topics... As suspected, the TV has been on a lot during the past two weeks of Olympic mania. I'm hoping to get more disciplined with this; however, I must realistically acknowledge that
1) I'm working longer hours than normal at the moment, which means unwinding time in the evening is necessary; 2) I'm still targeting a 30min workout on my elliptical trainer each evening, which further eats into my time. My current daily writing goals have therefore been revised to just 100 words a day, mainly to keep my head in the story. Having said that, for the past fortnight, I've only written on the weekend, courtesy of an awesome new weekly cafe writing session with friends. One of these days, I'll get it all together! (But both August and September are going to be particularly work-hellish.)

2 comments:

  1. But where are the pictures?
    ;)
    Good job keeping up with it all. Aussie! Aussie! Oy Oy Oy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know. Very late here and I couldn't be bothered getting off the couch to take a photo!

      Delete